Valley History History of the Fingal Valley Towns of the Valley Industry of the Valley Sport in History Membership page History Newsletter Transport in History Photos through History

 

Avoca Post Office
More Info>>>

 

This building at "Harefield" near St Marys was the cottage built by
Dr Alexander Thomson in the
early 1830s.
It is believed to be the oldest building still standing in the Fingal valley


Cullenswood Anglican Church
built by convict labour in 1847 for
Robert Vincent Legge the original owner of "Cullenswood"

More Info>>>

 


Golden Gate Gold Mine at Mathinna.
Towards the Nineteenth Century Mathinna was the third largest town in Tasmania after Hobart and Launceton.

More info>>>

 

Welcome

Welcome to the home page of "fingalvalleyhistory.com" or the
St Patricks Head and Esk Valley Historical Society Inc.

In keeping with the Constitution the object of the Society is:

To collect and preserve information and/or items of historical value within the defined area,
and to promote and exhibit the history as a means of sharing the heritage with the community.

These aims are achieved through identified projects, exhibitions, field trips and participation in general community events.

Latest Information

From 1843 to 1846 the St Marys Pass was built with convict labour. In anyone's language this was
a
tremendous achievement and one that is not nearly recognized enough in our history books.

Our Society has extensively researched the Pass and have come with over 600 names of convicts who worked on the
project in the initial construction. All the names are available to view by contacting Society members on the phone numbers below.

******

The fascinating story of the Dalmayne Coal Mine, which saw heaps of money and resources thrown at it back in 1917
for very little return, is now online

THE DALMAYNE COAL MINE FIASCO
View Story>>>>>


For more information on our Society feel free to phone:

David: 03 63722796
Darlene: 0438 534 763
Or Jim 043 9604
200


Right:
Society Member, Jim Haas, talks to a group of walkers from the Launceston RamblersWalking Club
at an old mine shaft entrance at Cornwall


 

 

 

External Links

This site was developed by Greg Cruse & Jim Haas at the St Marys Online Access Centre, Main St St Marys, Tasmania

Updated by Jim on16 -11 - 2016

 

 

 

Towns of the Valley

Avoca

Cornwall

Cullenswood

Fingal

Mangana

Mathinna

St Marys

St Marys 1903

 

 

The next meeting of the Society will be held in St Marys at 12:00 pm on Tuesday the 14 February 2017

 

All Welcome

 

You are welcome to view our display of artifacts and photos at the the Cranks & Tinkerers Motor Museum in the old St Marys Railway Station on the western entrance to the town

St Marys 1903 By The Late David Clement is now online
View

 

 

 

Holder Brothers General Store
Fingal
1859

 

 

Fred Aulich with his pair of Clydesdales
hauls a load of timber at St Marys
1900